Yesterday I was working in the Physiotherapy Department of the hospital. This was my first time actually seeing how this department is run. I was quite surprised at how modern and relatively up to date this ward was, compared to the other ones that I have been in. This room was equipped with certain physical therapy tools and exercise equipment that we might have back in states - free weights, exercise balls, work out machines, and those sets of railings that allow recovering patients to practice walking upright again, for a certain distance.
When I entered the room the first patient I saw was a women sitting in a chair in front of a mirror doing different facial exercises. I chatted with her doctor, and he informed me that she is suffering from Facial Palsy and these exercises are helping her to strengthen the muscles on the left side of her face (the side that is affected) as well as helping to increase blood circulation. He attributed her facial palsy to her high blood pressure and persistent hypertension, saying that she is not receiving enough blood flow to her certain parts of her body, and now her face is the first to be affected. I was lucky enough to be able to sit with her and address her nutritional needs in this area. Gotta love all these impromptu counseling sessions :) I think our chat went very well. I learned how she eats rice, bread, and banku (a doughy ball made of cooked, fermented corn dough and cassava dough, that is eaten by hands within a soupy base) for breakfast each morning. Her lunches and dinners look quite similar, with bits of fruits and vegetables thrown in here and there. Unfortunately, this type of starchy diet is a favorite of most Ghanians, and one that I have addressed with many clients in terms of educating them on the importance a less starchy and a more nutritious/well rounded diet.
This morning I was lucky enough to go a Ghanian wedding! My roommate and I were invited to the wedding of a cousin of a man named David, who we met in town earlier that week. Sounds sketchy...but he was very nice and welcoming and our country director talked with him to be sure that it was a legitimate thing. Turns out our country director knows the family that was hosting the wedding so he gave us the all clear to go :) David told us to be there at 9:30 am sharp for the start of ceremony. Being the punctual Americans that we are, we arrived right at 9:30 to a nearly empty ball room. Little by little, the seats began to fill until about almost 11 when the official ceremony started. Classic Ghanian time. The ceremony was interesting to say the least. It was an absolute blast with all the dancing and singing that was happening, but it was also extremely lengthy with regards to the sermon that was given and the constant pauses to pray and pray and pray for the couple, for the guests, and for anything you could think of. The passion in the room reminded me of the passion at church. The guests were all dancing and singing and shouting praises to the bride and groom. These parts of the ceremony were so much more fun then the American ceremonies I've been to. While the weddings we have back in the states are absolutely beautiful and momentous, these weddings felt more like a true celebration, and the bride and groom seemed like A-list celebrities to all the guests. The biggest downside to the wedding was that from start to finish, the ceremony and reception stretched out to a lengthy 6 hour service. In this kind of heat, it is something I could probably only sit through once in my life.
Overall though, it is has been an incredible start to the weekend. Until next time!
Hede nyuie, (Goodbye),
~ Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment