After 30+ hours of car rides, airplanes, and a less then smooth 4-hour van ride through the Ghanaian mountains, I have arrived! I am currently sitting in the Cross-Cultural Solutions home base in the African village of Hohoe, Ghana (pronounced "ho-hway"). It has been the craziest mix of emotions throughout my journey here, mostly consisting of nerves, anxiety, and an overwhelming amount of excitement and awe at everything I have seen so far and have yet to experience!
Upon arriving at the airport after a 10 hour flight, I met up with my program leader and two other volunteers that arrived on my same flight. We stepped out into the humid, 87 degree weather, packed our bags into a rickety old van and took off for the 4-hour drive across dirt roads and through the mountains to our home base. On the way we passed countless small villages that projected a completely authentic, traditional African feel. I saw countless goats, chickens and dogs running across the roads and intermingling with the locals in the markets and villages. There were different booths, stores and houses that all shared similar metal roofs, supported by stone, and sometimes mud, walls. Women everywhere were carrying enormous loads of clothes, fruits, and other goods in baskets upon their heads, while also carrying babies strapped in cloth around their backs. I am in awe of the poise and balance that these women must have to posses! Though the ride was long, my excitement and intrigue was only further heightened by these sights as the drive continued. To help pass the time, was also practiced speaking Ewe ("ay-way"),the native Ghanian language, with one of our native chauffeurs. We arrived at about 6:00 pm Ghanian time (2:00 pm back home), ate a delicious dinner with rice, special seasoned tomato sauce, chicken and fruit. I'll be going to bed early tonight, but tomorrow starts with a trip to a local Ghanian church service, orientation and a trip around our surrounding neighborhood!
My volunteering will begin Tuesday at the Hohoe District Hospital. I will be assisting in several areas including going on rounds with doctors, helping with cleanliness and upkeep, counseling in the HIV/AIDS Clinic and my predicted favorite, educating mothers in the pre-natal and post-natal clinics about good nutrition for them and their babies! I am beyond excited for my first day of volunteering :)
I'll have pictures up as soon as I can!
Mia dogo kpuie ("see you soon"),
~ Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment